The Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) has an excellent checklist and list of useful questions to consider when deciding on the best nursing home for you or a loved one. I particularly like the reflective nature of the questions that HIQA suggests asking yourself after visiting a nursing home that you are considering, such as
- Were they confident to let you meet and talk to existing clients?
- Did they offer to show you their latest inspection report?
- Did they ask many questions about you – your likes and dislikes?
- Did you get the impression that you would be living your life the way you choose instead of having to fit into their routine?
- Did they seem happy to answer all your questions?
I believe that it is always worthwhile paying attention to your gut instinct when making important choices and, if you have any niggling doubts, ask more questions until you are satisfied that the home you are choosing is the right one.
You can view the HIQA checklist at http://www.hiqa.ie/resource-centre/service-users/checklist-choosing-care-centre-older-people
If you require assistance with the Contract of Care – the document which sets out the details of your relationship with the nursing home – please call me on 01-6608353.